There are a number of herbs (botanicals) that work synergistically to reduce chronic joint inflammation such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Devil’s Claw (Harpagophytum procumbens)
- Major constituent: harpagoside, a monoterpene glycoside.
- Manifests anti-inflammatory activity, comparable to phenylbutazone, as well as analgesic effects.
- Anti-inflammatory effects are more evident in chronic rather than acute inflammation.
- Does not inhibit the production of pro-inflammatory prostaglandins from cell membrane arachidonic acid, as do NSAIDs.
- Induces a reduction in pain sensitivity and increase in joint flexibility among rheumatoid patients.
Frankincense (Boswellia carteri)
- Major constituents: boswellic acids (pentacyclic triterpenic acids) and essential oils
- Used traditionally in Indian Ayurvedic medicine to alleviate symptoms of chronic rheumatic inflammation.
- Inhibits the production of pro-inflammatory leukotrienes by the enzyme 5-lipoxygenase.
- Reduces the degradation of glycosaminoglycans, major components of connective tissue, in experimental models with lab animals.
- Mixture of digestive enzymes from the stem of the pineapple plant (Ananas comosus).
- Reduces pain and inflammation associated with arthritis, trauma, or sports injury.
- Prevents edema after traumatic incident or surgery.
- Prevents and reduces edema by inhibiting formation of fibrin within damaged tissue, allowing lymph fluids to pass with less obstruction.
- May interfere with the arachidonic acid cascade, thereby impeding the formation of inflammatory eicosanoids.
- Blocks synthesis of kinin compounds that increase edema and pain.
- Yellow pigment of turmeric rhizome (Curcuma longa).
- Acts as a powerful antioxidant against active oxygen moieties.
- Displays anti-inflammatory effects equivalent to some NSAIDs in acute models of inflammation and half as potent in chronic inflammation.
- Inhibits lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase and the formation of inflammatory leukotrienes and prostaglandins.
- Promotes fibrinolysis.
- Inhibits the production of pro-inflammatory peroxynitrite radicals and nitrite.
- Stabilizes lysosomal membranes.
- Inhibits pro-inflammatory gene expression.
Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium)
- Inhibits cellular phospholipases, which prevents release of arachidonic acid from cell membranes for the production of inflammatory prostaglandins and leukotrienes.
- Flavonol and flavone methyl ethers inhibit the major pathways of arachidonate metabolism in leukocytes in vitro.
- The flavonoid tanetin could contribute to the anti-inflammatory properties by inhibiting the generation of pro-inflammatory eicosanoids.
- Inhibits both cyclo-oxygenase and lipoxygenase metabolic products in vitro.
Licorice (glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Major constituents: glycyrrhetinic acid (Be aware of hypertensive mineralocorticoid effects with long-term use).
- Inhibits synthesis of inflammatory prostaglandins in a manner similar to cortisone.
- Inhibits liver breakdown of endogenous and exogenous anti-inflammatory corticosteroids.
- Inhibits kidney conversion of cortisol to cortisone, thereby diminishing excretion of endogenous corticosteroids.
- Inhibits of superoxide anion production and cyclooxygenase activities.
- Traditional Chinese medical indications
- Dissipates heat and alleviates fire toxicity.
- Modulates, harmonizes, and optimizes the effects of other botanical medicines.
Nettles (Urtica dioica)
- Used internally and externally for rheumatic complaints.
- Inhibits synthesis of pro-inflammatory prostaglandins.
- Inhibits the expression of cellular transcription factors implicated in the synthesis of pro-inflammatory gene products.
Harpagophytum procumbens (5% harpagosides), 200mg
Boswellia carteri (65% boswellic acids), 200mg
Bromelain (2400gdu/gm), 200mg
Curcumin (90%), 200mg
Tanacetum parthenium (feverfew) extract (Standardized to contain 0.7% parthenolide), 200mg
Glycyrrhiza glabra (16-18% glycyrrhizin), 100mg
Urtica dioica (Nettle Leaf Extract 5:1), 100mg
Recommended dosage: 2 capsules 2 to 4 times per day.
To order our natural joint health, anti-inflammatory botanical formula (“Joint Ease”) by phone, please call toll-free 877-347-8600.